The new foldable DJI OM 4 is a smartphone gimbal with a new twist. Instead of using a clamp-style mount, it has a magnetic one. The user has to attach a compatible mount to the smartphone to mount to the OM 4 gimbal.
The new mount will make it faster and easier to mount and balance the smartphone, however, I would be a tad concerned if it could be easily bumped off. DJI states that the mount is sleek, secure and a lightweight metal clamp that connects to the back of your phone and can remain fixed to it during daily use, while ready to instantly attach to the DJI OM 4. A second option removes the balancing step by sticking a designed magnetic mount with ring holder onto the back of your phone allowing snapping onto DJI OM4 quickly. The new design allows DJI OM 4 users to access and control its core features and functions with just one hand. When not in use, the DJI OM 4 can stay in Standby Mode to be easily reactivated.
DJI OM 4 and the DJI Mimo app work together to help anyone generate top-quality content easily, with pre-programmed shooting modes and professional-grade features that make your photos and videos jump off the screen
- ActiveTrack 3.0: Select a subject for the DJI OM 4 to automatically track and let the gimbal do the work for you. Newly updated, the mode features improved distinction between subjects such as adults, children, and pets. Framing during ActiveTrack can now be adjusted by using the dedicated joystick for enhanced control.
- DynamicZoom: A visually appealing cinematic look, the DJI OM 4 automatically adjusts the zoom function to create the dramatic background shift made popular by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Timelapse, Motionlapse, Hyperlapse: Show the passing of time in a sped-up form using TimeLapse; Motionlapse, which adds set movement points for the gimbal; or HyperLapse to physically move with the gimbal. All three modes use Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology as well as the 3-axis gimbal for an added level of smoothness. Easily share these creative videos on social media for the world to enjoy.
- Slow-motion: Slow down the world around you in stunning detail with the Slow-motion feature.
- Sport Mode: The DJI OM 4 will respond and follow subjects and movements faster to add a level of action to the scene.
- Panoramas: Choose from three creative panorama options to capture a wider perspective including 3X3 panorama, 240°panorama and a new “CloneMe” panorama which allows the user to add multiple versions of a person or subject into one shot for a unique and creative effect.
- Spin Shot Gimbal Movement: Activated in the DJI Mimo app and using the joystick, the gimbal will rotate the phone to give a spinning effect.
- Story Mode Templates: Choose from one of the preset templates to add a creative spin to your content. The DJI OM 4 uses preset movements, music and color palates for quick videos perfect for sharing on social media.
Using a Bluetooth connection, you can navigate through the DJI Mimo app to control settings, adjustments, and choose the various preset modes. Besides the Mimo App, the DJI OM 4 also controls the basic camera functions of your smartphone’s native camera app with the option of more advanced functions depending on the type of phone. Additionally, the DJI OM 4 is supported by useful accessories including a wrist strap, grip tripod and storage pouch.
Like what we do and want to support Newsshooter? Consider becoming a Patreon supporter and help us to continue being the best source of news and reviews for professional tools for the independent filmmaker.