Published Jan 27, 2021
Fujifilm has introduced a new fast standard prime lens for its GFX medium-format system. The GF 80mm F1.7 R WR provides an equivalent (in 35mm terms) focal length of 63mm, and weighs in at 795 grams (1.8 lbs). Of the lens’ 12 elements, one is aspherical and two are ‘Super ED’. It has a minimum focus distance of 70cm (27.6″) and a maximum magnification of 0.15x. The 80mm has a physical faux-machanical aperture ring and accepts 77mm screw-in filters.
The lens is weather-resistant and features a fluorine coating on the front element to repel water and dirt.
The GF 80mm F1.7 R WR will be available in March for $2299 (not $2499 as originally listed).
FUJIFILM Announces FUJINON GF 80mm F1.7 R WR Lens: The World’s Widest Aperture Autofocus Lens for a Large Format Camera System
Valhalla, N.Y., January 27, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce that it will release its FUJINON GF80mmF1.7 R WR Lens (GF80mmF1.7), the world’s first*1 AF-capable F1.7 interchangeable lens for Large Format camera systems, including FUJIFILM GFX System digital cameras, in March 2021.
GF80mmF1.7 R WR has a standard focal length of 80mm (a 35mm equivalent of 63mm). Its large-diameter autofocus (AF) prime lens features a maximum aperture of F1.7, which also makes it the fastest lens among Fujifilm’s G Mount lenses.
“Portrait photographers using GFX System cameras can now choose FUJINON GF110mmF2 R WR for when they want images with a tighter angle of view or pick GF80mmF1.7 for when they want something slightly wider,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management for FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division. “This choice will certainly give image-makers more options creatively, especially since the highly anticipated bokeh produced from GF80mmmF1.7’s wide aperture is sure to provide an incredible aesthetic quality to any image.”
Optically designed for limitless creativity
- GF80mmF1.7 R WR features nine rounded diaphragm blades that can be stopped down to provide edge-to-edge sharpness or opened up to produce images with beautifully smooth bokeh, with astounding separation between a subject and its background, from any GFX System camera. Comprising 12 lens elements in nine groups, including one aspherical element and two, Super ED elements, this lens is optimally balanced to control spherical aberration and deliver a quality of bokeh not able to be replicated by any other Large Format lens on the market.
- Fujifilm’s ultra high-precision glass molding technology has been used on the two aspherical lens surfaces to produce a tolerance of 1/100,000th of a millimeter. This is five times more accurate than regular lens molding techniques can produce and serves to minimize the onion-ring effect that can how the lens handles the out-of-focus areas of an image.
The world’s first F1.7 lens with autofocus for a large format digital system
- GF80mmF1.7 features a powerful DC motor that has enough torque to drive the focus group of six lens elements, including the aspherical element, to quickly deliver accurate and reliable autofocus, even when the lens is wide-open at F1.7 and when depth of field is extremely shallow. The lens also supports the Face / Eye AF function, which uses an advanced focusing algorithm to accurately acquire focus on a subject’s face or eyes even when they are moving within the frame.
- GF80mmF1.7 brings low-light focusing capabilities of GFX100 and GFX100S to EV-5.5, which is a 0.5 stop improvement in the case of GFX100. With GF80mmF1.7, autofocus performance for both of these cameras is maximized in dimly lit environments.
Compact and practical size
- Measuring at 3.9 in. (99.2mm) long and weighing just 1.75 lb. (795g), with a filter thread size of 77mm, GF80mmF1.7 is practically sized and suited for both on-location and in-studio applications.
- Weather-resistant seals have been applied to the lens barrel at 10 locations on the lens to protect it against dust and water, while also providing it with the ability to operate at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The front lens element is also coated with fluorine to repel dirt, adding another layer of weather-resistant performance to the lens .
Pricing and Availability
GF80mmF1.7 R WR is currently expected to be available in March 2021 at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $2,299.95 and $2,290 CDN. For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/gf80mmf17-r-wr/.
Fujifilm GF 80mm F1.7 R WR specifications
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||Medium Format (44x33mm)|
|Focal length||80 mm|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm G|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||1 aspherical + 2 Super ED elements|
|Minimum focus||0.70 m (27.56″)|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Weight||795 g (1.75 lb)|
|Diameter||95 mm (3.74″)|
|Length||99 mm (3.9″)|
|Filter thread||77 mm|