Published Jan 27, 2021
Fujifilm has announced the X-E4, the latest in its line of midrange rangefinder-style mirrorless cameras. It’s built around the same 26MP X-Trans BSI-CMOS sensor as the X-S10 and shares many of that camera’s features. The main difference is styling and the X-E4’s lack of image stabilization.
The X-E4 is the smallest X-E camera yet and Fujifilm says its been designed to be as flat as possible, to allow it to fit more easily into pockets (presumably without a lens attached). This means there’s nothing in the way of a hand grip, though a screw-on hand-grip and Arca-style compatible base plate is available.
As with the X-S10 it has a quad-core ‘X-Processor 4’ chip at its heart, which provides the same AF performance as the range-topping X-T4. The X-E4 is also capable of shooting DCI or UHD 4K video at up to 30p or continuous stills at up to 30 fps with its electronic shutter and a 1.25x crop. Full-sensor stills come at up to 20 fps with the electronic shutter or 8 fps in mechanical shutter mode.
The X-E4 also shares its 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder with the X-S10, along with similar optics, providing 0.62X magnification, in full-frame terms. The rear screen is a 1.63M-dot touchscreen that folds up or down by 180 degrees, allowing selfies or vlogging-style video shooting.
The styling appears to be a blend of previous X-E and X-A cameras but the control system, with dedicated shutter speed and exposure comp dials, along with the primarily metal build, are pure X-E.
The X-E4 will be available from early March at a cost of around $850, body only. A kit with a new weather-resistant 27mm F2.8 R WR will be available for around $1050.
Fujifilm Announces New FUJIFILM X-E4 Mirrorless Camera: the most portable mirrorless camera in the X-Series lineup
Valhalla, N.Y. – January 27, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce FUJIFILM X-E4 digital camera (X-E4), a new mirrorless rangefinder-style camera in the FUJIFILM X Series lineup.
The lightweight, compact X-E4 features the same 26.1-megapixel, X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, 0.02 sec autofocus, and fantastic color science that can be found in all the professional X Series cameras.
“Outstanding image quality, wide dynamic range, and superb low-light performance combine with simple controls, advanced Face and Eye Detection, and a forward-180° tilting LCD touchscreen to make this camera a joy to use for video or photo,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management at FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division.
Main product features:
X Series’ lightest and smallest camera body
- At .80 lb. (364g) and measuring 4.77in x 2.87in x 1.28in (121.3mm x 72.9mm x 32.7mm), X-E4 is the most compact interchangeable-lens camera in the X Series of digital cameras. The product uses Fujifilm’s 4th generation sensor and processor. To maintain its slim and sleek design, a rear tilting LCD screen has also been carefully designed to ensure the body remains as thin and portable as possible.
- The camera’s compact design is influenced by the design of classic film cameras. Both the front and rear grips are flat to give it a classic aesthetic, while the top plate of the camera body is carefully molded from magnesium to provide a polished, elevated finish.
Diverse functions and easy operation
- The rear tilting monitor can be flipped upward and forward facing up to180 degrees, which can accommodate a wide variety of compositions, from high to low angle, as well as selfies and vlog-style videos.
- The top panel includes a shutter speed dial that can be set manually or switched to Program Mode (P) if fully automatic functionality is required.
- Controls have also been concentrated to front-side dials to give extra thumb space for maximum in-hand comfort.
- Using Fujifilm’s state-of-the-art 26.1MP X-TransTM CMOS 4 sensor and the high-speed image processing engine X-Processor 4 to provide incredibly fast autofocus, X-E4 uses phase detection autofocus points across almost 100% of the sensor to acquire focus in as fast as 0.02 seconds. It is also able to track moving subjects with an advanced AF-tracking algorithm, ensuring that images can be captured when the focus is optimal.
- X-E4 also includes Fujifilm’s latest Face and Eye detection technology to track subjects accurately, even in luminance levels as low as -7.0EV where used with an attached FUJINON XF50mmF1.0 R WR lens.
Extensive video-recording functions
- X-E4 oversamples 6K footage to record 4K/30P 4:2:0 8-bit video to internal media, or 4K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video via its HDMI port.
- The camera can also deliver high-speed, full-HD video at 240fps, which can be used to replay fast-moving subjects up to 10x slower compared to footage recorded at 24fps.
Variety of film simulations
- A total of 18 film simulations are available with the X-E4, including Velvia, which is characterized by highly saturated colors and crisp gradation, and ETERNA Bleach Bypass, which reproduces
Pricing and Availability
X-E4 is currently expected to be available in March 2021 at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $849.95 USD and $1,050 CDN. The camera will also be available as a kit that includes the FUJINON XF27mmF4 R WR lens at a manufacturer’s retail price of $1049.95 and $1,300 CDN.
Several accessories will be available for X-E4 as well, including:
- BLC- XE4 (Black Leather Case): $79.99 MSRP USD/$105 CDN
- MHG-X-E4(Metal Hand Grip,Black only):$89.99 MSRP USD/$120CDN
- TR-X-E4 (Thumb Rest, Black): $69.99 MSRP USD/$95 CDN
- TR-X-E4 (Thumb Rest, Silver): $69.99 MSRP USD/$95 CDN
- For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/x-e4/.
Fujifilm X-E4 specifications
|MSRP||$849 (body only), $1049 (w/28mm F2.8 R WR lens)|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6240 x 4160|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||26 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||X-Trans|
|ISO||Auto, 160-12800 (expands to 80-51200)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||80|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||51200|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||425|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.93× (0.62× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||4 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/32000 sec|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/180 sec|
|Continuous drive||20.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone)|
|Battery description||NP-W126S lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||380|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||364 g (0.80 lb / 12.84 oz)|
|Dimensions||121 x 73 x 33 mm (4.76 x 2.87 x 1.3″)|