Insta360 has released a new update for the ONE R that adds a number of new features and fixes.
Insta360 is headlining a few key features in the update.
Essentially an automated HDR mode that captures multiple shots that are combined with auto-exposure bracketing to retain highlights while also capturing shadow detail with less noise.
The ONE R now captures at a higher bitrate in certain shooting modes, improving video quality with fewer compression artefacts.
A new Vivid Color Profile is now available for a faster turn around time, but if you plan to edit in post, you can still use the LOG profile for more latitude in post.
A feature that looks quite impressive is the new Aquavision mode.
Normally external filters are used to correct for the color balance underwater.
The Aquavision filter is applied in post using the Insta360 app.
Other updates include the ability to use the ONE R as a webcam, livestreaming capability in 360° and a faster MP4 workflow with an upcoming FCP X plugin.
Full List of updates
*The firmware updates work with the latest version of the Insta360 app (iOS 1.3.9/ Android 1.3.5).
- You can now export PureShot photos using the Insta360 app/Studio for (4K Wide Angle Mod /1-inch Mod). PureShot uses an AI algorithm to enhance your photo’s dynamic range and reduces noise automatically, resulting in a clearer, brighter shot.
- The “Vivid” color profile option has been added for the 4K Wide Angle Mod/ 1-inch Wide- Angle Mod.
- The Dual-Lens 360 Mod now supports live streaming. Supported platforms include: Facebook, YouTube or via an RTMP URL.
- Webcam mode is now available in the settings menu (Dual-Lens 360 Mod /4K-Wide Angle Mod).
- The 1-Inch Wide-Angle Mod now supports recording .mp4 video with basic in-camera stabilization. Basic supports: [email protected]/25/24fps, [email protected] and [email protected]
- The original “FlowState” recording mode of the 4K Wide-Angle Mod /1-Inch Wide-Angle Mod has been changed to “Pro” mode. The insv format video has been changed to .mp4 format, which can be played and edited directly on the computer. The file names of these videos are prefixed with “PRO_”, and they must be exported with the Insta360 app/Studio to apply FlowState Stabilization. All resolutions and FPS options are supported.
- The video quality of 4K Wide Angle Mod /1-Inch Wide-Angle Mod has been improved. The bitrate has also been improved for some shooting modes.
- The “Indoor Low-light Stability” option has been removed, instead, the camera will automatically adjust the image quality and deal with motion blur according to lighting.
- The sound quality of camera core, external microphone and AirPods have all been improved.
- Fixed an issue where frames would drop during video encoding in 5.7K mode (360 video) and [email protected] mode (wide-angle video).
- Routine bug fixes and user experience improvements.
Pricing & Availability
The ONE R update is available to download & install now from the Insta360 website.
The Insta360 ONE R starts at $299 USD for the standard 4K edition with the various mods available.