(Pocket-Lint) – TikTok has launched a new filter called TikTok Avatar, Which overlays animated characters like memos on your face They actually try to mimic your expression as you speak and move. Here’s what you need to know about the feature, including how to access it and start using it.
What is TikTok Avatar?
Announced on Thursday, June 9, 2022, the TikTok avatar both looks and works like Apple’s Memoji feature. The TikTok mobile app uses your phone’s camera to detect your face and then it overlays an animated character that copies your movements. You can record with this virtual filter and it will mirror your face, expression and much more.
How to find TikTok avatars
To try out the new TikTok Avatars filter, open the latest version of the TikTok mobile app and then follow these steps:
- Press the + (Record / Upload) button in the center below to start capturing a TikTok.
- Tap the effect button at the bottom right of the recording screen.
- From Magnifying Glass, explore the effects of TikTok for “Avatar”.
- Then, scroll down and select it until you find the effect called “TikTok Avatars”.
How do TikTok avatars work?
There are two dozen pre-made TikTok avatars to choose from once you select the feature during video capture, or you can customize it yourself. TikTok lets you change the tone of your skin, face, nose, eyes and even jewelry – although your choices aren’t as varied. TikTok says it’s working with a “Creator is the sum of diversity“To improve and update its avatars.
Where can you use TikTok Avatar?
Currently, you can create and share TikTok avatar content in videos that you share publicly or with your followers, as well as in videos that you post during your story.
Want to see TikTok avatars in action?
Here are some examples:
If this is new or my old millennial donkey has just discovered it, these TikTok avatars that you can create are a bit fun pic.twitter.com/a8PYb6Htnd
– Wondermundo (WunderMundo) June 9, 2022
– Heather Dunawaye Smith (dunaway_smith) June 9, 2022
TikTok now has AR avatars. Technically impressive, but requires more customization options. pic.twitter.com/sN4Lia2Xcq
– Peter Gaston (stopsatgreen) June 8, 2022
Written by Maggie Tillman.