Sony has released Ver. 1.30 Firmware Update for a1 Flagship mirrorless hybrid. This update adds 4: 2: 2 10-bits when shooting the XAVC HS 8K and gives the ability to select M and S sizes in addition to L when using the RAW recording lossless compression method.
Full list of new features in Ver. 1.30
- Lets you choose M. And S. In addition to size L. When using the RAW recording lossless compression method
- Adds 4: 2: 2 10-bit Select when shooting XAVC HS 8K CZK
- Allows proxy recording during remote computer connection
- Improves its accuracy IAF Features
- Resolves a problem where remote shooting may not work Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote)
- Custom white improves balance durability
- Improves the operational stability of the camera
It’s nice to see Sony add the ability to capture 4: 2: 2 10-bit When shooting on 8K XAVC HS. Previously when shooting 8K XAVC HS you were limited to 4: 2: 0 10-bit. It will be interesting to see if this makes a significant difference in the images you can capture.
By comparison, the Nikon Z9 has always been able to capture 8K at 4: 2: 2 10-bit and has the added advantage of being able to record 8K internally up to 60P on N-RAW.